Monday, January 21, 2013

Internet in the Classroom


Visual literacy and the Internet can impact the teaching and learning process a number of ways in the classroom.  I think that that visual literacy can be much more thought provoking than words.  There is the old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words."  Images make connections.  If we just give our students the words, they are not making the connections.  They are not thinking.  As this image below shows, visual thinking helps students in planning, comparing ideas, an image can spark ideas and are great for presentations.

I really like the idea of using the internet to help students create items such as infographics.  I would like to find ways to incorporate these into character work and research projects.  Additionally, I use the Internet regularly for research, google drive has turned into a favorite collaborative source.  Additionally, I am using cites like weebly.com for my students to create e-portfolios and kidblog.org for reflective blogging.  

I feel that by using visual literacy and the Internet in my classroom, I am stretching my own teaching abilities and my students are making more connections.  I love hearing them be excited about a new cite that I am introducing to them.

Image from:  www.thevisualleap.com


Here is an interesting video about using visual literacy.  What does it make you think of?


No comments:

Post a Comment